Friday, June 17, 2011

Wii U passing on DVD, Blu-ray

Nintendo says it will not include video playback formats in next console due to current ubiquity of such devices.
When Microsoft and Sony were engaged in the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray format wars at the beginning of the current-console generation, Nintendo opted to abstain from video playback entirely with the Wii. Now, it appears as if Nintendo plans to carry over that strategy to its next console, the Wii U.
Today, Nintendo posted an interview transcriptfrom the 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo in which company president Satoru Iwata confirms the Wii U will not support the DVD or Blu-ray video playback standards.
"Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities," Iwata said. "The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."
When the Wii U was unveiled at this year's E3, Nintendo said that games will be delivered on a proprietary high-density optical disc format similar in size to a DVD. The device will also be able to download and play software.


If you ask me, it's bullshit.  You can buy a DVD or Blu-Ray from Newegg.com for $15.  I don't know what the hell Nintendo is thinking.  I believe this will hurt them more than helping.  I use my XBOX 360 for all my DVD movies.  I don't have a Blu-Ray, but my Playstation 3 does.  It only makes sense to have the next generation be able to play movies.   Only Nintendo would do something this fucking stupid.

Plus that giant tablet controller is fucking stupid too.  It's to much of a gimmick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blast away! I'm all ears. SPAM me and it gets erased. :)